The Yeti Revisited

An ongoing narrative, a place of gathering, a refocusing of creative energies...and yetis.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Food, fun, and Photoshop

Vikki and I are currently staying at The House of No Pants, having moved all our worldly possessions (with the exception of ourselves) from our dorms to our new apartment yesterday. We will be following on June 1st. I'm having a great time at The House. There's lots of amazing fresh food, tea, cozy places to sit, science fiction, and geek talk. Today feels like a little summer-preview, as it is a bit chilly, a bit overcast, and we don't really have our own place yet. It's a really great preview.

I started work at the publications office today. It was fantastic. A spent a couple hours in the morning familiarizing myself with Adobe InDesign through books and online tutorials. Then Melissa (boss) briefed me on issues she was having with some photos for a Civil Liberties and Public Policy brochure that we're designing. So, for the rest of the day I worked in Photoshop, removing undesired people and objects from pictures and working out brightness and contrast issues. I had a nice long lunchbreak in the middle, during which Kim (assistant boss) and I went to whole foods where I got some brown rice sushi.

Overall, work just feels like a great place to be. I'm treated as an equal, I get to do interesting and engaging work, my opinion is counted in discussions, and I get a certain amount of creative control over the copy that comes to my desk. I will also be in charge of designing and laying out next year's student planner/handbook, Non Satis Non Scire, which everyone gets in their mailbox. When I showed Kim my progress with the CLPP photos she seemed quite impressed with my (mad) photoshop skills (yo). She said she'd defer her photoshop projects to me, which is exciting.

And soon we are going to sit down to dinner of grilled marinated chicken, tempeh, portobello mushrooms and vegetable kebabs. I love these people.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tap it!

(miss you love you)

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home