The Yeti Revisited

An ongoing narrative, a place of gathering, a refocusing of creative energies...and yetis.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Excitement!

So I was having a pretty average day until lunch. Then things started to get a little more interesting. I noticed a sign at Saga for some free shifts, so after eating I went to talk to the lady, I believe her name is Marcy, and I grabbed a free shift--the only one left actually. So I am no longer unemployed. I have a day per week, and possibly more depending on who calls me to sub for them. I plan to take a lot of those calls, cause I really need the money.

So that provided a welcome bit of security in my life. Spurred on by this development, I filled out some forms that I had to do (financial aid stuff) and generally got things in order. Then I went to my class, The Structure of Randomness, with one of my favorite professors so far in my relatively brief Hampshire career: Ken Hoffman. We had some wonderful tangents (from an already wonderful class topic) and ended up talking about current cosmological theories, including the idea that the universe is shaped like a Klein Bottle, or alternatively, that the universe is contained inside a massive black hole and that there are infinitely many others (with some leakage of information between them!) There was also some discussion of string theory, and how/why scientists have conjectured that there are 12 dimensions, of which we only experience three consciously. This brought us into unifield field theory and quantum menchanics. All very mind-bending-in-an-extremely-cool-way kind of stuff. The discussion ended up bleeding over into after class time when it was myself, the professor and two other students just kind of hanging around talking about the nature of the universe. I. love. my. life.

So after class I called my mother to tell her the good news about a job, and we discussed my summer plans, which went over suprisingly well. I'm staying in Amherst, getting an apartment, and hopefully a summer job on campus. There's all sorts of stuff that needs to be done at Hamphsire in the summer, so hopefully I can get in somewhere. If not, there's plenty of restaurants in Amherst and Northampton, and while I'd rather not be washing dishes or bussing tables, if it means living on my own, I'm totally there. I'm excited about finally getting the opportunity to really cultivate a life of my own, outside of any specific group or institution. I've been delighted with my things so far, but there comes a point when you have to learn to stand on your own--and I'm not frightened of it, because it'll be something that is truly mine.

Now, to begin the summer job hunt. I'm going to systematically call or e-mail any office that has any job that sounds interesting to me. Here goes!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That science stuff sounds like Half-Life 2 to me. :P

8:45 PM  
Blogger bonnie said...

congrats on the new job and the summer plans! I want to come up and visit you this summer!

b

ps. whats saga?

10:27 PM  
Blogger dan said...

dining commons. :P

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home