The Yeti Revisited

An ongoing narrative, a place of gathering, a refocusing of creative energies...and yetis.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

On the solving of mysteries and the pondering of the Medieval...

So...I woke up today and read some of the T'ai Chi classics--the poetic history and Taoist philosophy behind the martial art before practicing a bit of my own. I then settled down to a long bout of customizing my computing experience (which is a delightfully free-form process in Fluxboxx: my GUI of choice). I set the background to a picture of the millenium falcon on front of the classic Star Wars titles (in all their stroked yellow glory). I skinned XMMS (audio player) in a nice brushed metal to fit the theme. I then set the font on my terminal emulator (which is partially transparent) to yellow on black to match the text on the background (believe me, it's sexy.) Then I went through a bunch of firefox skins until I foud one that is suitably aesthetically pleasing and vaguely futuristic. Yum. But all of this is beside the point.

So, the really interesting bits of my day starting happening when Cindy IMed me to ask about this girl that she met at the newly formed vegan society meeting, because she had noticed that said girl was on my facebook friend's list. Now...this girl has been on my friends list since last summer when neither of us were actually at hampshire yet and I had not actually seen her anywhere on campus--or so I thought! So, it turns out that said-unnamed-girl who shall now be codenamed Tycho (I've been reading a lot of penny arcade, okay!) was, in point of fact, the same girl that Buttons and I happened to pass by in Saga one day maybe two weeks back and both agreed was really attractive (something indescribably hot about her attire and hair style). At any rate, now knowing the identity of the mysterious facebook friend, Tycho, filled a small whole in my psyche and lifted my spirits considerably. (I love when mysteries come together.)

So...after all the excitement, I decided that I needed lunch. So I get my coat on and go to Saga my mind sort of wandering, thinking a bit about Tycho and the now-no-longer-mysterious mystery, chat it up with Roberta a bit about the ASL lunch (don't ask me why--does anyone really know why Roberta brings things up?) and I head down the small flight of stairs towards the food (vegan sloppy joes today!) and who do I see standing directly in front of me in line but Tycho! Ah, delicious irony. So that is the story about today's interesting little coincidence, which I promptly related to Cindy at the lunch table right after I got my food. I am currently looking forward to vegan cutlet at dinner (this is a good saga day!) and possibly more coincidences.

The second interesting thing of the day came after my math class when I was sitting in central records waiting for a secretary to return from somewhere so I could ask her about paperwork. I was absentmindedly browsing through Smith's course catalog, checking out my options for French, which I intend to continue next semester, when my eyes alight on the Medieval Studies major and all the required courses therein. I read down the list and they all seemed extremely intriguing, particularly the epic poems and mythology. So that got me thinking about my Div II, which is indeed coming up and what I might be studying. I think now it might be something along the lines of: Blacksmthing and the Sword in Medieval Mythology and History. At least, that sounded really cool when I was working it over in my head walking back to my room. We'll see.

1 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

I don't know if we're thinking of the same Tycho...

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home