The Yeti Revisited

An ongoing narrative, a place of gathering, a refocusing of creative energies...and yetis.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Brilliant.

I just finished watching L'Auberge Espagnole for the second time. This time with the lesbian posse. I forgot how much I really enjoyed that movie. There are so many subtle things that are done so well, and they don't really push anything. It's refreshing.

It's also the kind of movie that reminds me of how exciting the future is, of not knowing what is in store. Even where I am in life, my first year of college, it's easy to get into a routine and feel like this is what life will be forever. That you'll graduate, get a job and a house and settle down and live. That little things will change but the grit and gristle, the day to day, the meat of your life will be pretty much as it is now. This movie reminds me how much I have yet to discover, to do, to experience, to be. That though changes seem to come few and far between, they can sometimes be drastic and sudden--and that's beautiful!

It reminds me that there are so many places, cities--countries--that I haven't set foot in yet, haven't lived in yet, haven't gotten to know it's people or its food or its bizarre quirks and customs. It makes me want to go travel, live in a country, meet people, learn new languages the way the native speakers speak them. And it reminds me that I can still do all this. That these are not ridiculous dreams, they're not out of the question. And that makes me happy.

I feel like the subtle relationships between Xavier and the people that he lives with are portrayed really well. I think that in general the movie sums up the process of moving to a new place and meeting all new people, having new hangouts, basically taking on a wholew new life and then trying to reconcile it with your past experiences. And then not knowing where to begin when people ask about it because you are a totally different person now and you could not even try to explain because you would never do it justice. And then smiling inside because it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that you've had experiences that you will never, now, be able to forget.

I love the ending of the movie. I love that he runs out on his first day of work, even if it's irresponsible and childish. I love that he chooses to be a writer even though he knows that he's choosing a future with no prospects, because that you know he'll be so much happier. I love that in the end, he values the beautiful over the practical--that he refuses to bow to mediocrity because it would be easier, because it would pay more.

In short, I love this movie's values.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home