The Yeti Revisited

An ongoing narrative, a place of gathering, a refocusing of creative energies...and yetis.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Nerd Alert

All told, things are pretty good right now. Despite last night's strangeness and being forced to think about things that I'd much rather avoid, I woke up today in good spirits. With no immediate obligations I just lay in bed for a while to look at the way light filters through my curtains. I read a couple chapters in A Clash of Kings which helped to further keep my mind off those previously mentioned, best-avoided things. Afterwards I lay in bed some more, and, despite my best efforts, thought about the things--and was surprisingly unbothered by them. I felt...okay. Serene.

I then remembered that my bittorrent download consisting of a batch of DnD books was probably done and my geek instincts took over. So I was paging through the v3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide, still in my boxers, when my phone started buzzing. It was my interviewer, the head of publications, or, more accurately termed, my new boss. I got the job that I wanted. I'll be spending my days this summer in an upper room of an old farmhouse-turned-office on the big ol' field out in front of Hampshire, sitting at my little corner desk working in photoshop. Sounds pretty sweet to me. I really like the people I met when I went to interview there. Plus, I'll be set as far as money goes, and that's a nice feeling.

Vikki and I found an apartment that we're leasing from a nice UMass computer science grad student named Ting. Ting is leaving all his furniture with us, because he's moving back in in the fall. So that's another thing we don't have to worry about. We're a brief walk from downtown Amherst, an even briefer walk from a sweet little asian foods market (think super cheap bulk tofu) and a five to ten minute drive from Northampton (home to one of my favorite comic book shops). Amherst and Northampton both have famers markets once a week during the summer on conveniently evenly spaced days. Fresh fruits and veggies twice a week ain't too shabby. I'm living with one of the preeminent geeks of the Hampshire campus, my nights will be free for writing DnD and GURPS campaigns, painting Warhammmer models, coding, learning to be a hacker, (hopefully) writing books, reading books, watching hours upon hours of geeky television shows and movies, and lets not forget baking! And I'll finally have the money to keep up with my favorite comics. Also, we've got the Pioneer Valley as our backyard, so I'm sure there will be no lack of outdoor type activities at our disposal (many of which Vikki has experience with). Well, now that I think about it, this has the potential to be my best summer yet. It's safe to say that I'm more than a little excited.

Oh, also. It seems like I'm going to be babysit the bed of (at least) one friend over the summer, and we have I think two couches. What I'm getting at is lots of extra sleep space. I'm expecting visits! That means you!

Well we both know that our day will come
The revolution has begun
So raise your fists and take a stand
With your super cool...
Super cool wrist bands!
We broke out
And now we're running crazy
Down the middle of the boulevard
(Spaced out!)
There's a nerd alert
There's a nerd alert
And you'll never, ever
Never take us alive
Never take us alive
You'll never...!
We're fat, young and hungry
But we don't care
We got big old brains
Like Mexican candy
We got some complex flavor
Running up in here
So get stupid on your time
Get the bud bowl off the air
Diffuse the land mines
I'm alright
You're alright
We're alright

4 Comments:

Blogger bonnie said...

darcy and I are so there!

11:29 AM  
Blogger dan said...

:)

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happened?

1:33 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Well...it may help me answer that question if you don't post anonymously and are a little less vague. :P

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home