The Yeti Revisited

An ongoing narrative, a place of gathering, a refocusing of creative energies...and yetis.

Friday, July 07, 2006

On Comic Books

I feel proud of my geekhood when I scan down IGN's article Building the Ultimate Bookshelf, which is basically a really big list of must-read comics and graphic novels, and find that I know of most of the selections, and have read an average of at least one per page (at only 4 or 5 a page, this is pretty cool). In case anyone was still wondering, it turns out I am, indeed, an enormous dork. Now I just have to read all the comics on the list that sound really cool that I haven't gotten around to yet.

This is the blurb for Nevermen, which I'd never heard of:

Monkey butlers. This book has monkey butlers. Were that not enough, the two Nevermen trades combine sophisticated noir and sci-fi adventure with a dash of the esoteric. When Midnight City is threatened, the Nevermen assemble to battle the League of Crows. This is truly one of the most off-the-wall books you'll read. But it's grounded by phenomenal art and stellar writing. Also, it has monkey butlers.

I am totally enticed. Also, I find that I know a pleasurable mix of mainstream superhero comics, as well as the darker, more hipsters-read-me-to-show-off kinds of books. Soon, when I have read enough of both worlds, I will be able to outgeek any fan boy and smack hipsters upside their well-coiffed heads for only reading comics that make them sound deep.

1 Comments:

Blogger Makel said...

I have an account now, thanks to my internet art course, and will now be free to comment on your very life in yet another medium!

PH34R!

~Love Chris (Your (loving) Nemesis)

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home